500g (1Lb) Lean Minced Beef
250g (8oz) Skinned tomatoes
225g (8oz) Haricot or Red Kidney beans (soaked overnight)
50g (2oz) of Butter
2 Teaspoons Olive or Corn oil
2 Medium onions
2 Cloves of garlic
1 Medium sized green pepper
1 Level teaspoon Chilli powder
¼ Level teaspoon of salt
1 Level tablespoon of flour
4 Tablespoons fresh single cream
150ml (¼ pint) of Water
(1) Drain the beans. Cook in boiling salted water until almost tender. Strain and keep on one side.
(2) Chop the onions and garlic finely. Fry gently in butter plus the oil, until golden (oil stops butter from burning). Add the meat and fry for a further 5 minutes (or until brown), breaking it up with a fork and turning it over all the time.
(3) Chop the skinned tomatoes and green pepper. Then add to the pan with kidney beans, chilli powder, salt and half the quantity of water. Cover and cook over a very low heat, for between 45 minutes to an hour (or until beans are soft), stirring occasionally.
(4) Combine the flour with the rest of the water and pour into the pan. Cook and stir until the mixture thickens.
(5) Remove from the heat and stir in the cream.