225g (8oz) Plain flour
25g (1oz) Cocoa powder
2 Level teaspoons baking powder
1 Half-level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
150g (6oz) Caster sugar
3 level tablespoons Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise (the secret ingredient)
1 Teaspoon vanilla essence
Whipped cream, glaced cherries
Chocolate spread and icing sugar to decorate.
(1) Heat the oven to 180°C, 350°F or Gas Mark 4.
(2) Grease two 18cm (7 inch) sandwich tins and base-line with greased paper.
(3) Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarb of soda together.
(4) Stir in the sugar. Make a well in centre and stir in the mayonnaise.
(5) Gradually add vanilla essence and 200ml (7fl oz) of water, to form a smooth batter.
(6) Pour into the prepared sandwich tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the centre of each cake is firm to the touch. Cool completely in their tins, then turn out.
(7) Store in airtight tin for two days. (Cake will soften and become more moist).
Sandwich with chocolate spread and sprinkle the top with icing sugar, or sandwich together with whipped cream. Top with more cream, and decorate with fruit of your choice.