3 Medium eggs
4 Tablespoons caster sugar
250g (8½ oz) Mascarpone cheese
250ml (9fl oz) Cold strong black coffee
5 Tablespoons of Brandy or Rum
200g (7oz) Sponge fingers
Unsweetened cocoa powder or grated chocolate, to decorate
(1) Seperate the eggs in a bowl. Beat the yolks and sugar until thick and creamy. Beat the whites seperately until stiff.
(2) Add the Mascarpone to the yolk mixture, a spoonful at a time. Stir until smooth. Fold in the egg whites.
(3) Mix the coffe with the Brandy or Rum in a shallow bowl. Dip half the sponge fingers in the liquid, soaking both sides, and use them to line a serving dish. Pour half the Mascarpone mixture into the dish.
(4) Dip the remaining fingers in the liquid and arrange on top. Pour in the remaining half of Mascarpone and smooth the surface. Cover and chill for about 2 hours.
(5) Sprinkle generously with cocoa powder or grated chocolate (using a small sieve), before serving.