500g Casserole Beef or Best Braising Steak (diced)
450ml hot Beef Stock
300ml Red Wine
8 Shallots (peeled)
4 large Carrots (peeled & thickly sliced)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Garlic Clove (peeled & crushed)
1 tablespoon Balsamic or Red Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoon Cranberry Sauce or Red Currant Jelly
1 tablespoon fresh Thyme (chopped)
Zest and juice of 1 small Orange
Salt and Black Pepper
1 tablespoon softened Butter
1 tablespoon Flour
(1) Preheat oven to 160°c / Gas Mark 3. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish. Add the beef and quickly brown all over. Using a draining spoon and remove the meat to a plate.
(2) Add the shallots, carrots and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring for a few minutes, then add the wine, stock, vinegar, cranberry sauce, thyme, orange juice and half the zest. Bring to the boil, add seasoning then return the beef to casserole.
(3) Cover the casserole with a tight fitting lid. Place in the oven and cook for 1½ - 2 hours until beef is tender.
(4) Remove the meat and veg using a draining spoon. Blend the butter with flour to make a paste, then stir into gravy in the pot. Heat though on hob, stirring or return to oven for 5 minutes until thickened.
(5) Return meat and vegetables to the pot and stir. Check for seasoning. Garnish with remaining zest and thyme leaves scattered on top.