6 Lamb Neck Fillets, each weighing 140 - 175g (5 - 6 oz) trimmed
1½ x 375g packs (3 pieces) of ready rolled Puff Pastry
1 yolk of an egg, whisked with a fork
6 leaves of fresh Sage, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil for frying
Ingredients for the Sauce
227g jar of Red Currant Jelly
200 ml (7 fl oz) of Port
2 sprigs of fresh Rosemary
(1) Season the Lamb fillets well. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry all the fillets over a high heat for 5 minutes, until seared on the outside. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
(2) Use 3 slices of the puff pastry place on a floured surface, and cut in half giving 6 pieces. Roll out the rectangles slightly to make them bigger, if needed.
(3) Position a piece of the pastry with the short side facing you. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle on some chopped Sage. Put a fillet near the end facing you, then fold the other end back towards you, to cover the end of the meat. Brush with more egg yolk and fold the pastry underneath the fillet, finishing with the seam at the bottom. Cut off any excess pastry if there is any.
(4) Repeat with the other remaining fillets.
(5) Pre-heat the oven to 220°C, Fan 200°C or Gasmark 7. Put the parcels seam down on a non-stick baking sheet. Brush with egg yolk, then cut 4 incisions in the top of each one. Bake for 25 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and let them rest for 5 minutes.
To make the Sauce
(6) Melt the Red Currant Jelly in a pan over a gentle heat, then add the Port and Rosemary. Boil uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes, until it becomes syrupy.
Can be served in slices with the sauce. Goes well with a Watercress salad.