1kg (2½ Lbs) Braising beef cut into large cubes
4 Tablespoons seasoned flour
4 to 5 Tablespoons sunflower oil
1 Large onion (sliced)
Bouquet Garni made up of 1 bayleaf, 2 sprigs of parsley
2 Sprigs of thyme (tied together with string)
300ml (½ pint) Guinness or other dark beer
300ml (½ pint) Water
3 Tablespoons Ovaltine
1 Tablespoon caster sugar
Salt and black pepper to taste
(1) Preheat the oven to 150°C, 300°F, Gasmark 2.
(2) Toss beef in the flour until evenly coated, reserve any excess flour.
(3) Heat 1½ tablespoons of oil in frying pan and fry onion gently, until golden brown.
(4) Put into an oven proof casserole dish.
(5) Brown the beef in the remaining oil (add extra oil if needed).
(6) Cook in batches over a high heat.
(7) Add the meat to the casserole when done.
(8) Add the carrots and the Bouquet Garni.
(9) Pour Guinness and water into frying pan and bring to the boil.
(10) Stir in the Ovaltine and sugar, then pour into the casserole dish.
(11) Season and cover, then transfer to the oven.
(12) Cook for around 2 to 2½ hours, until meat is tender, and sauce has thickened.
Stir occasionally as it cooks. Taste and adjust seasoning. Discard the Bouquet Garni and serve.