225g (8oz) plain flour
100g (4oz) margarine
175g (6 oz) black treacle
50g (2 oz) golden syrup
50g (2 oz) soft brown sugar
150ml (¼ pint) milk
2 medium sized, beaten eggs
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
A pinch of salt
50g (2oz) Currants or Sultanas (optional)
(1) Preheat the oven to 150°C / 300°F / Gas Mark 2.
(2) Grease an 18cm (7in) square deep cake tin.
(3) Sieve together the flour, ginger, bicarb of soda, spice and salt, then stir in the sugar.
(4) Melt the margarine, treacle and syrup gently, then gradually beat in the milk and allow to cool.
(5) Add the beaten eggs and mix well. Stir in the treacle mixture into the flour, and add the optional currents or sultanas.
(6) Pour the mixture into a prepared tin and bake for about 1¼ hours.
(7) Allow to cool before turning out.