100g Dark Muscovado Sugar
175g Self-Raising Flour
125g Full Fat Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
50g Butter (melted)
200g Chopped Dates
Ingredients for the Sauce
200g Dark Muscovado Sugar
500ml Boiling water
(1) Preheat oven to 190°C, Gas Mark 5.
(2) Butter a 1.5 litre capacity pudding dish.
(3) Combine 100g of the dark sugar with the flour, in a large bowl.
(4) Pour milk into a measuring jug. Beat the egg, vanilla and melted butter. Tip mixture into the large bowl, over the sugar and flour. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
(5) Fold in the dates, and put in pudding dish. Sprinkle with 200g of the dark sugar, and dot with the butter.
(6) Pour over the boiling water, then transfer to oven for 45 minutes.
You might find it needs an extra 5-10 minutes, depending on your oven. The pudding should be springy when cooked. Underneath, there should be a rich sticky sauce.