225g (8 oz) Butter
125g (4 oz) Caster Sugar
275g (10 oz) Flour
50g (2 oz) fine Semolina
12 Small Apples
White Glace Icing
Various Animal Pastry Cutters
(1) Beat the butter well in a bowl then gradually work in the sugar. Stir in the flour and semolina until well mixed, then knead.
(2) Roll out on a lightly floured surface, half at a time, to a 0.5 cm (¼ inch) thickness. Stamp out the animal shapes. If the mixture sticks to the surface, roll out between pieces of non-stick paper.
(3) Lift the animal shapes on to a baking sheet and press currants into the heads for eyes and nose etc.
(4) Bake in the oven at 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 for 15-20 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
(5) Using a fine nozzle, pipe the children's names across the shapes with icing. Small sweets can be stuck on as additional decoration using the icing.
(6) Remove apples stalks and put some icing into the top of apples, then set biscuits upright in the icing.
Use as Name Places for children's parties.